Dive deeper into your passion for music.
Build – Customize/Upgrade – Fix, Repair and Setup Stringed Instruments
Here are a few of our resources on building, repairing, and maintaining musical instruments to get you started
How to Fix a Broken Guitar Nut
Guitar nuts are an essential component of any guitar setup. They guide each string to the right position, provide the ability to set their height, and must also allow the strings to move back and forth when playing, tuning, and bending. Eventually, they will wear down due to friction to the point that you can’t …
How to Fix Bass Guitar Wiring
Electric bass guitars’ have internal components like The pickups The batteries The volume, the tone potentiometers, and other controls The output jack is connected using electric wires and through the use of solder. Though these wires are usually covered by some form of plastic when they deteriorate, it’s not uncommon to notice crackling and …
Best Glue for Guitar Binding Repair
Although the binding material is designed in order to make it very difficult for liquids to traverse it, humidity is a real threat that slowly gets underneath it, reaching the glue, condensing on its surface, creating small bubbles and foam, and thus, weakening and destroying its bonds…
What Does a Luthier Do?
According to Google’s featured results as of 11/1/2022, the definition for the word luthier is as follows: Luthier: A maker of stringed instruments such as violins or guitars. But is it really all there is to it? This post will dive deeper into all of the requirements to become a Luthier and other important …
Preparing a Guitar Body For Paint
Whether you plan on finishing that body you just cut to perfection, or you just want to bring some life back to that worn-out favorite instrument, preparing a guitar body for paint requires some planning, preparation, and careful execution. Surely painting a guitar body can appear to be lots of fun, but it’s fairly easy …
Best Spindle Sanders for Guitar Building
When considering which tools are a must-have to build good instruments, belt/disc and spindle sanders are a really nice addition to any shop. In this article, we’ll cover the best spindle sanders for guitar building based on our experience But oscillating spindle sanders are the ones to look for if you plan on taking things …
11 Jazz Bass Upgrades to Look and Sound better
The traditional Jazz Bass is a timeless classic. What sets it apart from other models is the distinct Offset Waist Contour body combined with its hum-canceling abilities to output unique lows, scooped (attenuated) mids, and well-defined high frequencies. But there’s always room for improvements and modding instruments, and we’ll go over a couple of ideas …
Bass Guitar Setup for Slap
Bass slapping has been around for ages, and its invention is credited to Larry Graham. In this article, we’ll cover the best practices to achieve a decent bass guitar setup for slap, but first, let’s talk about the technique a bit. It was made popular by lots of excellent artists such as Flea from the …
- What does a guitar setup consist of? 8 steps to achieve perfectionAs a general rule, a guitar setup typically consists of: Adjusting the truss rod to correct for the amount of bow in the neck, setting the action (height of the strings above the fretboard), and setting the intonation (compensating for the instrument’s inherent …
What does a guitar setup consist of? 8 steps to achieve perfection Read More »
- Fretboard cleaner alternatives – How to clean your fretboard without ruining your guitarFretboards get dirty over time, and will become disgusting to play on and diminish the lifespan of the brand new strings you just installed. The best method (other than using fretboard cleaners, of course), will depend on the material the fretboard is made …
Fretboard cleaner alternatives – How to clean your fretboard without ruining your guitar Read More »
- Tools every luthier needs – Luthier Hand ToolsThere’s nothing quite like the satisfaction of working with your hands, and that’s especially true when it comes to woodworking. As a luthier, you know the importance of having high-quality hand tools to create beautiful, functional pieces of art. In this article, we’ll …
- How to repair rusty guitar pickupsIf you have a rusty guitar pickup, don’t despair! With a little time and effort, you can repair your rusty guitar pickup and get it working again. However, depending on its condition, it might be a better idea to replace it entirely… We’ll …
- Polyurethane guitar finish repairPolyurethane (PU) is a common type of finish used on guitars. It is durable and provides a high gloss finish. However, it can be difficult to repair if it becomes damaged. By following these directions, you can easily repair Polyurethane guitar finishes. What …
- Building a guitar repair bench – is it worth it?As a musician, you know that taking care of your instruments is important. A well-maintained instrument will not only last longer, but it will also sound better. One of the best ways to ensure that your guitars are properly taken care of is …
Building a guitar repair bench – is it worth it? Read More »
- How to fix a bowed bass guitar neck – Should you worry?There are a few things that can cause a bass guitar neck to bow. The most common cause is tension from the strings. If the strings are too tight, they can pull the neck out of shape. In case you find yourself in …
How to fix a bowed bass guitar neck – Should you worry? Read More »
- Bass Guitar Tuning Pegs Repair – Best solutionsBass guitar tuners are responsible for tensioning the strings. Bass strings are heavy, and the tuners have moving parts. You get the idea. There are many situations where one would need to repair/replace bass guitar tuning pegs, such as; Not holding the strings …
- Bass bridge saddle adjustment – Get it right.Regardless of the bass guitar model, the bass bridge saddles will play a huge role in the overall setup of the instrument. They are (in part) responsible for the string height, intonation, and correct vibration, and their adjustment is quite easy to mess …
- Acoustic Guitar Setup for Fingerstyle – Measurements and adviceFingerstyle is a classical and very distinct acoustic guitar playing style, which makes use of the five fingers on the right hand (for right-handed players) instead of picks. As a general rule, acoustic guitar setup for fingerstyle should have string action set to …
Acoustic Guitar Setup for Fingerstyle – Measurements and advice Read More »
BUILDING ELECTRIC GUITARS
BUILDING ELECTRIC GUITARS
BUILDING BASS GUITARS
BUILDING BASS GUITARS
REPAIRING ELECTRIC GUITARS
REPAIRING BASS GUITARS
REPAIRING BASS GUITARS
ACCESSORIES AND GEAR REVIEWS
- What does a guitar setup consist of? 8 steps to achieve perfection
- Fretboard cleaner alternatives – How to clean your fretboard without ruining your guitar
- Tools every luthier needs – Luthier Hand Tools
- How to repair rusty guitar pickups
- Polyurethane guitar finish repair
Welcome to BuildInstrument.com
Build Instrument.com was created with the goal of sharing valuable information based on experience in building musical instruments for amateurs and professionals alike. Building musical instruments is a wonderful profession that enables one to pursue perfection through trial and error and is also very rewarding to finally get to see your creation being used to create music.
It doesn’t matter if you are a musician trying to improve your performance levels and do small repairs, or if you are, an aspirant to a professional luthier, there’s a good chance that there’s something just for you among our articles.
Sometimes, all it takes to ignite a passion for building and maintaining musical instruments is to learn how to make simple fixes by yourself, saving a lot of money in the process in situations where you don’t need to take your guitar to the repair shop, for instance.
Not only that but learning how to build their own instruments gives any musician a much deeper understanding of why things work the way they do. And in a very competitive environment such as the music industry, every little advantage counts.
On top of it all, diving deeper into the passion for making musical instruments can even bring you an income, while doing an activity that you’re passionate about.
Follow us on social Media
Get the latest announcements and news directly after publishing